Opportunities to Serve
God so loved the world, that he gave his only son. -John 3:16 We love because God first loved us. -1 John 4:19
Mandarin United Methodist Church reaches out to others with the love of Christ. In serving, we receive more than we give and learn more than we teach. We try not to do for someone what they can do for themselves and serve in ways that respect the dignity of the people we serve.
Local Missions and Service
In our quarterly Day of Service, we have multiple opportunities to do mission work in our community. We help at our local food bank, a nearby elementary school, a childcare center, an apartment complex for refugee families, a Christian rehabilitation camp for men finding new life after addictions and a school supply depot. We clean parks and pack bags for domestic violence shelters, prepare cleaning buckets for flood victims, ready health kits for refugees, and more.
Our Sunday School Classes, United Methodist Women Circles, United Methodist Men, Youth and Children’s Ministries are also active in local mission projects.
We are a member congregation of I-CARE, or Interfaith Coalition for Action, Reconciliation and Empowerment. We join with 24 other communities of faith to work on issues of justice, such as the high school graduation rate, homelessness, restorative justice and civil citations for first-time misdemeanor youthful offenders.
Missions Farther From Home
We have partnerships in mission with Branches United Methodist Church in Florida City and Rice and Beans Ministries in Costa Rica. Watch our website for upcoming trips! There is an application and interview process for serving on a mission trip.
At Christmas time we collect gift cards for children at the Florida United Methodist Children’s Home. Our ANGEL TREE provides gifts for families of prisoners through Prison Fellowship Ministries and the Salvation Army.
Mandarin Food Bank
We have a quarterly food drive where we collect non- perishable goods for our local food bank. On food drive day, drop your bags at designated collection points in the parking lot! Volunteers will collect your bag and deliver the food to its destination.
Opportunities for Giving to Our Mission Partners
We have some partners in mission and ministry to whom we regularly make gifts. You may make a gift payable to “Mandarin United Methodist” with the name of one of the following clearly indicated on your gift:
- Good Samaritan Fund–We help families in our ministry serving area and church families with short-term, emergency needs, one time. We have information on the help we can give, when funds are available, and an application process. If you want to help families in need, you may make a gift payable to “MUMC” and indicate that your gift is for the Good Samaritan Fund.
- Florida United Methodist Children’s Home–Has provided therapeutic, group and foster care for children in a Christian setting on two campuses for more than 100 years.
- United Methodist Committee on Relief–On the ground with care and supplies in disasters and emergencies world wide. One hundred percent of your gift goes to direct care.
- United Methodist Global Missions–We support missionaries, global new church starts, combat diseases of poverty, provide clinics and rural healthcare workers and Christian Education around the globe.
- Branches South Florida–Branches South Florida provides after school care, youth ministry and many other programs of economic empowerment to children, youth and their families. We are proud to partner with Branches!
- Mandarin Food Bank–Donations of non-perishable food, volunteer service and monetary gifts are always needed to feed the hungry of our local community.
- The Sulzbacher Center–Provides emergency shelter, programming and a health clinic for homeless individuals and families.
- Jacksonville City Rescue Mission–Serving the homeless with shelter, food, recovery programs and job training.
- Salvation Army, Jacksonville–Meeting human needs, especially of the homeless, addicted and families in need.